The latest Medicare data shows only 60% of patients said the area outside their room was quiet at night—the lowest satisfaction score among 27 questions about the hospital experience. Source: WSJ
Understand impact of the problem
- Is the noise inhibiting patient’s healing or it’s just annoying?
- Is noise affecting hospitals’ occupancy?
- Who else is affected by the noise? Staff, visitors, management
- Is it possible to quantify the financial and non financial impact of the noise?
Details of noise
- What is the type of noise? Instrument, people, other
- What is the source of noise? staff, visitors, other patients
- What is the location of noise? Inside hospital, inside patient rooms, outside hospital
- Communicate the importance of noise reduction via notices, emails, banners, publishing guidelines
- Train staff to monitor noise, monitor source of noise, enforce discipline, etc
- Restrict access to high impact areas
- Reduce equipment usage
- Install doors, walls, partitions
- Install noise cancelling devices
- Modify the layout of the hospital