Startup companies are coming up with new technologies aimed at getting people to take medicine only as directed. Source: WSJ
Understand the problem better
- How many people miss taking medicines? How often?
- What is the quantifiable health impact?
- What is the quantifiable financial impact? $290B
- What type of people usually miss taking medicine?
Is it patient’s fault?
- Are patients forgetting to take medicine unintentionally? Perhaps they forget it and get lazy
- Are patients not taking the medicines intentionally? Perhaps due to side effects or bad experience such as bad taste
Or is it someone else’s fault?
- Are medicines easily available to patients?
- Are instructions clear for the patient?
- Create awareness for patients and people who care about patients
- Provide training and change habits
- Provide financial award such as free medicines after it’s consumed regularly
- Relatives and other stakeholders remind patients about taking medicines
- Have relatives and friends influence the patients
- Serve the meds regularly
- Automatic reminders via email, text messages, phone call, etc
- Self dispensing technology that automatically puts meds in water or food
- Integrate technology with existing device such as refrigerator, phone, computer, TV, etc
- Put digital biodegradable sensors in medicine to track consumption