New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is pushing makers of handsets and wireless operating system software to do more to combat the exploding theft of smartphones. Source: WSJ
Details of theft
- How many phones have been stolen last year?
- What is the monthly theft trend?
- What is the theft breakdown by area and store?
- What is the theft breakdown by brand and phone type?
- Is there any seasonality? Theft occurrence by time of the day, day of the month, or particular shopping season?
What happens to the stolen phone?
- Is the phone usable after it’s stolen?
- Is there a marketplace for stolen phones?
- Is it possible to track users of the stolen phone?
- Increase the electronic security and manual staff monitoring where the highest occurrence of theft has been observed: Store, Area, Time, etc
- Lock the stolen phone so it’s not usable. This should discourage stealers
- Track the stolen phones to identify usual suspects and marketplace
- Perform due diligence to identify the secondary market for stolen phones
- Enforce strict punishments for criminals